Why is sustainability important to Hawkswell Kilvington?
Despite the current economic uncertainty, 2023 promises even more investment in environmental and sustainability measures. Over the last few years, in particular, such issues have become more important to our colleagues and clients than ever before. We are therefore responding by boosting our green credentials.
How does a law firm such as Hawkswell Kilvington impact the environment?
As a law firm, we obviously have different challenges to our clients in the construction engineering industries. Our key impacts and challenges arise from the energy usage, travel, and things we have to purchase; like most other professional services businesses. However, there is still much that we can improve on.
Adopting sustainable practices
- Carbon Neutral Plus Organization: Hawkswell Kilvington focuses on driving the firm forward in a more eco-friendly and sustainable way. We are members of Carbon Footprint and have recently achieved the Carbon Neutral Plus Standard. This standard recognises our efforts to reduce carbon emissions through energy and resource efficiency. As a certified Carbon Neutral Plus organisation, we have committed to consistently reducing our emissions as an organisation in the long term.
- Sustainability in the Office: Low energy office lighting on motion sensors, EV charging points, recycling bins, and the use of laptops over desktops (compared to desktops, laptops can have a smaller carbon footprint during their lives) is just another step forward in our journey to a more sustainable future.
- Purchasing “Green”: Purchasing decisions – from law firm stationery to beverage containers – are now made through a lens of sustainability. Whenever feasible, we give preference to materials that are recyclable and have recycled content.
- Waste Reduction: Encouraging essential printing behaviour has helped to use less paper and encourage sustainable printing habits.
- Travel Awareness: Some meetings may always need to be done in person, but where possible, Microsoft Teams meetings are used.
- Working from Home Policy: Working from home eliminates the need for a daily commute, which, in turn, reduces the number of CO2 emissions generated by each driver.
What are the long-term goals?
We are at the beginning of the journey and are keen to ensure that we continue to do everything possible to reduce our environmental impact. We will continually strive to improve our behaviours and policies.